Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Weary and Burdened

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

Weariness, yes I wear you like a cloak.  I mother wearily. I wife wearily. I daughter, sister, friend wearily from the weight of pain I carry on my back and on my shoulders and in my heart.  I notice a picture framed on the table. I see the face of a woman I used to know, a mother who radiates light and joy.  This woman gives freely to her husband and her friends and she appears to live in the brightness of heaven’s shine.  I see her and I want to stick out my hand to introduce myself.  “Hello there.  I’m Weary.  It’s nice to meet you.” For though she shares my face, I now hardly know her. 

Burden, yes I’ve met you too.  I carry you around in sinking arms and I stuff you down in my pockets to make room for more to come.  The tasks of the day pile on top of you until everything becomes one more thing and I feel like I might just crumble right here and right now.  You raise up on all sides of me and when I look in the mirror you, Burden, are all I see. 

Then I read His word.  Come to me, He whispers. He calls me by name.  Only He names me Daughter instead of Weary and Burden, reminding me that I am His and He will give me rest.  I feel the lightness return to me.  Heaven’s shine warms me.  My reflection takes me by surprise as I notice that I resemble again the woman in the picture, only something is different.  I now see a little more of Him in this face in the mirror.  I see a cross and on that tree I see my old friends, Weary and Burden.  Jesus has taken their names from me. I give thanks.  And I rest.